Thursday, October 2, 2008

Rosh Hashanah, Eid, and Gandhi Day!

I love that Rosh Hashanah, Eid and Gandhi Day all fell in the same week.

I love that Americans this week-- fearful of the next Great Depression -- are wondering why Congress is taking a Jewish holiday off and are all likely googling "Rosh Hashanah." I hope they are thinking about the idea of taking a step back and reflecting on what you might need forgiveness for. I love that they are asking "How many members of Congress are Jewish?" (According to Slate: Twenty-nine in the House and 13 in the Senate. There are also two Muslim and two Buddhist lawmakers, all serving in the House, and 16 Mormons.)

I love that I have friends in Israel, Pakistan and India.

I love my friend Rusty who is not technically Israeli but makes living there seem ridiculously fun and from far, far away kicks my ass in Scramble. I love that we met on a plane to Chicago in 2000, we're still friends, and he still calls me "plane girl."

I love all the new Pakistani friends I made this year. Imran and Shazad cooked for me, told me all the bible verses that prohibit alcohol and make me laugh hard, all the time...Hassaan keeps me up-to-date with the Pakistani media as well as which hip music I should be listening to.

I had the huge privilege this year of going to my friend Mansi's wedding in Mumbai. Which was awesome simply because she's Mansi, one of loveliest people on the planet. But it was especially wonderful because her family are Jains from Gujarat.

Gandhi, a Hindu, was deeply influenced about non-violence and tolerance as a child by his Jain neighbors in Gujarat. Mansi's giant, sparkly, loving family follows these same traditions today. Gathered at her wedding were people from all corners of the earth, with all sorts of religious and ethnic backgrounds. Everyone was treated to the most delicious vegetarian feast in the whole world and everyone was invited to dance and celebrate and learn about each other.

So I -- a Christian raised in nowhere Pennsylvania -- am thinking of all these things today: how lucky I am to have the friends I have, how important it is to take the time to reflect, sacrifice, walk in peace, and, most of all, celebrate!

Isn't this an incredible world?

Shana Tova, Eid Mubarak and Happy Gandhi Gayanti!!!!!

No comments: