Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Why Macedonia?

If the world could vote, Obama would win by a landslide:

http://news.theage.com.au/world/world-backs-obama-readers-digest-20081007-4vrq.html


Andorra, Georgia, and Macedonia are the only countries that McCain would win.

Andorra, I get. Their economy is pumped up by its status as a tax haven for sneaky offshore murkiness.

Georgia is under a lot of stress these days.

But Macedonia? I'm curious why Macedonia would be pro-McCain? Any ideas? (Phil, I think you're the only person left reading this blog, so I guess I'm asking you!)

The only contact I've ever really had with Macedonia is this amazing film that I've watched several times, years ago, "Before the Rain."

It's very much worth netflixing if you've never seen it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.google.com/search?q=macedonia+mccain&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

first link

http://the-macedonian-tendency.blogspot.com/2008/06/june-9th-mccain-obama-and-clinton-on.html

"... On Albania, Croatia and Macedonia, Senator McCain has been strongly outspoken in support for including them. They are ready. In the case of Macedonia, they've been a membership action plan for eight or nine cycles.

With respect to the Greek concerns, the United States recognizes Macedonia under its constitutional name."

McCain scores points for pushing for NATO and supporting their naming contention.

instigal said...

thanks! I didn't know this!