Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Recession? Guns?

Yet still more shit going down in April:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-sheet/item/mass-murders-may-be-recession-related/shootings/

But I still haven't seen a mainstream media discussion about the seasonal connection to mental health disorders? Have you?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Jenny--

I've been thinking about all of the violence recently myself and just thinking there has go to be some type of reaction at some point. How much more do we have to witness before someone says that his HAS to stop. There are so many factors, it's hard to know where to begin... but I have an idea. Let's get rid of the gratuitous violence on TV/Movies/Video games so that kids don't start at such an early age to become desensitized to it. Let's quit selling assault rifles to anyone who wants one... especially those who are desensitized to violence. And, let's improve our health care so that we take care of those with mental health conditions that so often lead towards violence. Just an idea.

instigal said...

preachin' to the choir sister! I agree on all of those things wholeheartedly.

But it's really curious to me that this is not a recognized pattern (violence in spring). Do you know if mental health orgs/agencies step up interventions and public awareness campaigns this time of year? I've been trying to pay attention but haven't noticed anything on radio, tv, facebook banners, etc.