Man, I love me some Atul Gawande. If you've never read "Better" you should. It's a light read for a lay audience about some of the most interesting health care ethics questions.
Yesterday, I found this New England Journal of Medicine video in which Gawande leads a discussion on health care costs with some the country's smartest health care economists. It's 20 minutes long and it includes a fair amount of jargon. But I think it would still be interesting to people outside of the field:
http://www.nejm.org/perspective-roundtable/cost-of-health-care/
One of the three experts, Elliot Fisher, is the brains behind the Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care
http://www.dartmouthatlas.org/
If you've never heard of this resource you should check it out. Basically it compares Medicare expenditures and quality of care in different regions of the country. The gist of the findings are basically the central theme of health care reform: Higher costs do not equal better care.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment