Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Our Son Has Won!"

So I've been talking about the election all year with Regina, the Kenyan immigrant woman who cleans our offices, when I get the cup of coffee around 5pm that gives me the insomnia that makes me late for work everyday.

And mostly, she's sort of hesitant and asks me lots of questions. She hasn't said a lot about what she thinks or hopes for.

Today she walked into my office and smiled a cruise-ship sized smile and said "How are you?" I jumped up out of my chair and we hugged.

(if you know me well, you know how utterly bizarre this hugging compulsion I have acquired is)

She said she thinks God is responsible for the election (I think she's Catholic) and that everyone in Kenya has been praying non-stop. They also held a mock election and of course, Obama won. Tomorrow is a national day of celebration:
http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/campaign-2008/2008/11/05/after-obamas-triumph-jubilation-and-tears-of-joy-in-obamas-ancestral-home-village-in-kenya-.html

No comments: