Sunday, November 2, 2008

Knocking and Baracking! -- Updated

The great thing about canvassing is meeting new people (if you're the sort of person who loves meeting new people!) And the great thing about canvassing in *this* election is how it is, in many ways, shattering stereotypes.

I'm watching Meet the Press right now and Chuck Todd made a point I very much agree with:

The Bradley affect, issues with race, are much more likely to take place in northern states like Ohio and Pennsylvania. Obama is likely to perform better than expected in southern states like NC, GA, VA because these places have been openly dealing with race for a long time.

I canvassed yesterday with a tall, blonde, delightfully scruffy-faced 18 year old Duke freshman from Wyoming (a state as red as red gets) We talked with 40something white voters in a Republican neighborhood who said things like "I can't believe it but my mom is actually voting for Obama."

It's still a tight race, but like Chuck Todd, I will not be shocked to see the south turn a little more purple this cycle......

........................

so after I posted this, I went to a "Get out the gay vote" event dressed up as Sarah Palin. I encountered more McSame voters there than any other place I've been. This election is crazy....you just can't stereotype!

No comments: