Monday, November 3, 2008

Obama's Grandmother

I felt like all the air was sucked out of me when I heard the news tonight.

Can you imagine?

What I have loved about this campaign, what the GOP doesn't understand, is that it's not about Obama. Like all good leadership, it's about something much bigger that makes you, the individual, feel both incredibly large and small at the same time. This is a movement to take back the country and take care of each other. It's not about one man.

But tonight, you can't help but wonder what it feels like to be that one man.

No father, no mother, no grandparents......truly an orphan and yet, at the same time, about to be the most powerful person on the planet.

I read both of his books and acquired a great admiration and appreciation for the women who raised him. Even if he doesn't win tomorrow, the movement he has started, the inspiration and the utter grace in the face of so much ugliness he has exhibited, has illustrated to us all a new kind of politics -- a new way of thinking about each other and treating each other. We all owe a great debt to Madelyn Dunham for the amazing person she raised.

I hope she is looking on and smiling tomorrow.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Yeah, I know... just made me soooo sad.

Megan said...

Jenny, another great post!

-R said...

Last night when people were screaming in the streets of New York, a couple was walking around carrying a giant sign that said "Aloha Mama, We thank you for Obama"