The NYT had this article today about Catholics in the 2008 epicenter of the universe -- otherwise known as the armpit of America -- Scranton Pa.:
"One parishioner ruled out voting for Mr. Obama explicitly because he is black. “Are they going to make it the Black House?” Ray McCormick asked, to embarrassed hushing from a half dozen others gathered around the rectory kitchen. (Five of the six, all lifelong Democrats who supported Mrs. Clinton in the primary, said they now lean toward Mr. McCain.)"
I know these people. I've been there. I can hear the "Shhh. Ray we all feel that way but don't *say* it." [Again, do these people seriously think Middle Eastern Jesus looked Irish?]
And it made me wonder: What would I do if I were in a job interview and the person interviewing me said that they were likely to hire me because the other candidate was black?
Would I say "Thanks, but no thanks!" and walk away? Would I laugh nervously and say nothing? Would I join in and say something racist?
What would you do?
If you are white like me, you probably *have* been hired for something or given something just because you're white. The giver just didn't tell you that you were getting a freebie.
I know a GOPer who derisively said to me after Palin was announced "Look, you have your affirmative action candidate, now we have ours!" In his world "affirmative action" is derogatory, meaning, you are awarded something not based on your character or qualifications but based on simply characteristics you were born with.
So, if all these folks, after voting for Hillary because they liked her platform, are now voting for McCain, simply because he's white, doesn't that make McSamey the affirmative action candidate?
Obama gave a great speech on race after the Rev. Wright media shark feeding, I think it's time now for McCain and Palin to give a similar speech.
Whoever wins and whoever loses, we're still left with an America where 5 out of 6 people in a Catholic church basement in Scranton, Pa. think it's OK to not vote for someone because they are black (they just think it's wrong to say so out loud.) Is that "OK" with McCain/Palin?
Is it OK for McCain's Bangladeshi adopted daughter to live in a world where she will be judged by her skin? Is it OK for Palin's kids, who are part Native Alaskan, to be judged by their background?
I want McSamey to do what I would hope you and I would do in that theoretical job interview: Stand up and say out loud "Look, there are a lot of good reasons to hire me, but the color of my skin is not one of them. Hire me on my merits or please don't hire me at all."
I think a GOP speech on race would go a long way right now in making this country a better place -- win or lose.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment