Thursday, September 4, 2008

are you for mccain?

So on the cab ride from the St. Louis airport to the hotel tonight, I asked the cabdriver, who had African accent, where he was from. Ethiopia.

I said, "Oh, my brother was in Ethiopia and Kenya last week."

I told him how people kept asking him in hushed, respectful tones: "are you for mccain?"

And he'd say no and then they'd light up and gush about Obama. Country and tribe don't seem to matter, people in Africa are psyched about Obama.

The cab driver then asked me in a hushed tone "are you for mccain?"

and I said no.

And he lit up and said how important it is for change, how the economy is so slow in St. Louis, how hard it is being a cab driver with sky high gas prices. He's in the middle of the citizenship process now and won't be able to vote in November, but told me to tell everyone to "vote Democrat!"

:)

No comments: