Thursday, August 28, 2008

Anti-Chalk Activist

So the anti-gay guys, as I mentioned before, seem to just be very gay. The abortion weirdos, my theory is, are extremely violent.

The bloody posters, to me, cheapen life. They also write in chalk on the sidewalk how all of us will burn in lakes of fire for killing babies. I completely understand how one would feel passionate about the issue. I consider myself both pro-life and pro-choice. What I don't understand is what possesses a person to stand on the street, show a horrible picture, yell at strangers and tell them they are going to hell. Unless of course they are a violent psychopaths.

I kind of want to talk to them because I feel like there is so, so much common ground between our positions and I'm sick of fighting about this. But I know talking will do nothing. I am related to people like this. Been there, done that.

Today, I was a lone tourist, with visible pro-choice buttons and badges, on a block full of wizened looking ruddy-faced men (funny how it's always men) waving these bloody, violent posters. I had my ipod on and couldn't hear them but they were trying to get in my way.

I kept my head down, but I slowed my pace and dragged my feet over their chalk drawings like when you skate in your socks over hardwood floors. It barely scuffed their miniature pastel pink and baby blue hells, but the act alone felt very good.

No comments: