Monday, August 25, 2008

No Fear in my Wheaties, Please!

Breakfast with the Maryland Delegation this morning....

  • I rode the elevator with Kweise Mfume and told him how when I was a line stander on Capitol Hill in 1992, I noticed how he was always so polite and friendly to cashiers in the cafeteria. DC is not a polite town so I used to be sort of shocked when I saw people in power liberally using "pleases and thank yous" with little people. NC has changed me, of course, and now I'm shocked when John Edwards doesn't remember me! Mfume was touched that I remembered and really sweet. He exudes gentleman.
  • Elijah Cummings talked about what an amazing time it is to be alive. He talked about the segregated south he remembers as a kid and how this room today of movers and shakers in power was at least 50% (if not more) African American, Latino and various shades of beige, women, men, gay, straight. "The GOP delegation from our state doesn't look like this," he pointed out.
  • Gary Hart gave a pep talk and said he's finally figured out why the party that doesn't believe in government is always trying to run it. Katrina demonstrated that they want to run it so they can prove it doesn't work. He talked about the obvious, how GOP constantly uses fear to get folks to vote against their own economic interest.
  • So my chances of getting into the Pepsi Center to hear speeches is sort of like marrying Prince William or George Clooney. Not beyond the laws of science and nature, but very, very unlikely. There's a lottery, so there's a slim chance I can. Luckily there are also watch parties in the hotel (with open bar!) and shuttles downtown to the parties afterwards. Open bar almost makes not being there worthwhile!
  • The whole thing feels like a really nerdy summer camp. I love it!

No comments: