Sunday, August 24, 2008

Low Expectations vs. Hope

I had a fabulous day with Phil and new friend Lisa. They took me to Boulder for a hike and a delicious lunch (hot pepper lemonade, how cool is that?) We joked/talked about the habit of assuming the worst and then being pleasantly surprised. For example, Lisa took her kids to Disney World, assumed it would be awful and then was surprised at how fun it was. Phil was talking about mentally preparing for a McCain presidency and not being crushed if Obama doesn't win.

In general, I have always strongly agreed with this way of living.

But then I went to the Maryland Delegation reception tonight where Elijah Cummings, Kweisi Mfume, Gov. O'Hottie, Steny Hoyer, and John Kerry (the Massachusetts delegation is staying in the same hotel) spoke. Cummings talked about the importance of saying, out loud, "President Obama" as often as we can. We have to get used to it, visualize it, believe it. Kerry reminded me of how utterly crushed I was back in '04. I don't think I talked to republican rob for like 6 months after that. My coworkers were terrified of me.

I told Phil today, "Will we be any more or less crushed if we hope for it or not? I mean, will low expectations really soften this blow."

Belief and hope are slippier, trickier things in reality than they are in rhetoric.

(I had such a fabulous day -- thanks Phil and Lisa for being such gracious hosts!)

(my aunt, a fellow ENFP, is the coolest person on the planet. it was so inspiring to see how much people respect and connect with her. She rocks for letting me tag along on this adventure!)

1 comment:

ellyn said...

she certainly does! i always believe in the power of positive thinking. without it, we have nothing. and let's face it, there are always going to be disappointments, but i think i'm more often pleasantly surprised. so there balance tilts a little more in favor of the optimists, thanks. :)

also, heard kerry say "president obama" last night and i randomly yelled, "PreSiDeNt ObAmA!!!" all excited. scared the pig to death.