Saturday, August 30, 2008

Ms. Jenny Goes to Denver

So I learned and observed a lot of pretty things this week: how friendly Denver is, the beauty in the light of little girls eyes and the tears in the eyes of people (black and white) old enough to remember segregation ... the importance of stepping up, letting go of little things and being part of something much bigger.

But I will also leave with some big questions to ponder.

In medicine, there is a heated debate going on about the appropriate role between drug companies and doctors. Doctors need information about drugs. Drug companies need to sell drugs. How do you convey that information objectively and efficiently? Read journal articles or go golfing?

In politics, lobbyists -- some flat out evil, some flat out good, most of them in between -- need to represent their side. Politicians need to see all sides.

One night, when I didn't get into the Pepsi Center, I was hanging out at the Ritz Carlton waiting for a friend and noticed a prominent governor hanging out with a group of men. Which I thought was odd since it was prime speech time. Why wasn't he with his delegation inside?

One of the guys comes up to the bar next to me and I say hi and say "wow, you're with Gov. So and So." He says he represents a foreign policy organization in the middle east and they're just having drinks. Why does a governor meet with foreign policy lobbyists representing the middle east? Economic stuff, right? Oil? Guns? Tomatoes? (I do love getting tomatoes in the dead of winter). But this group isn't economic, it's foreign policy.

I ate and drank and traveled by shuttle for free most of the week. But was it free? No, all paid for by companies -- sports teams, energy companies, etc. Was it nice to eat fillet mignon and drink nice wine. Oh hell yes! Were the lobbyists charming and nice. Yes, people don't get these jobs unless they are "nice" people.

It's easy, very easy, for me to say back at home: "No more corporate influence on politics!!!" When you're in the middle of it and look around you realize what an incredibly large task that is.

Oddly this makes me more comfortable with Palin* and Obama's youth and relative inexperience in Washington. I don't see how you can stay in it for decades and not be dripping with influence.

* perhaps better to say "enthusiastic" about Obama's youth and limited time at the federal level and "can understand how Palin's inexperience could seem appealing even though she is way, way out of her depth."

No comments: